Friday, May 8, 2009

Bedford Galley 'Working in Wax'

The Bedford Gallery in Walnut Creek had an amazing opening about two days ago with all things wax. There were 400 entries and 85 artist were juried in and there are about 100 pieces in the exhibition.
I have been painting since I was five and most of the time I painted in acrylics, water color, i did pen and ink did some sculpture work, and glass work too. In college I really learned what it meant to paint large. I received my degree from California State University, Monterey Bay in Visual and Public Art which equals Large Scale and Mural painting and a minor in Graphic design. My love for painting large and making a difference in my community will never leave me. Since my graduation I was still hungry for more. I am a sponge. I took a course with Cari Hernandez and Daniella Woolf. After that, game over. I fell in love with the medium. I painted in a way I always wanted to but never allowed myself in acrylic paintings. I feel so free when Im doing encaustic painting. I have found myself in a place with no rules and as a matter of fact it seems that in the encaustic world rules are meant to be broken. From working with canvas, painting over acrylic, using oils, incorporating plexi, bronze, cheese cloth, and so much more. Encaustic is the medium of exploration. It is competitions like 'Working in Wax' at Bedford and 'Metamorphsis' in Lincoln, Nebraska that are bringing a scene of healthy competition to the medium. Every time I go to a purely wax event all I do is discuss the medium, who the artist is and how they did their work. There is nothing more exciting then discussing with your fellow artists the possible process that went behind a particular piece. I am a member of the International Encaustic Artists. I love this group of waxy artist. I have been able to really discuss on a deep level the medium and process and learn from othr artist.

Here are a few shots from the event at the Bedford. Most all the work is for sale in the show and is a great chance to give back to the community and support artist around the United States.





































No comments: