Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Margo in Lincoln Nebraska!

Well I am very excited to write to you about my adventure to the wonderful town of Lincoln Nebraska. I applied for a juried competition in December of 2008. The Haydon Art Center put together, Metamorphosis: Contemporary Statements in Encaustics which was juried by George W. Neubert. George has served as director of the Sheldon Museum of Art, Lincoln, Nebraska and San Antonio Art Museum, Associate Director of Art for the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Project Director for the Project Sculpture/Public Sites program at the Golden Gate National Park, and Chief Curator of Art at the Oakland Museum. Neubert is also an artist and sculptor. He has exhibited his work in the United States and internationally in Japan and Budapest. He was awarded a National Endowment for the Arts Artist Grant in 1980.

I was able to discuss with George about my work. We discussed how straight forward the work is as well as how well it was technically created.

The trip started early, waking up at 4:00am created a tired little Margo on the plane.




I finally arrived in NE, I was so excited to see snow, even if is was just a small dirty mound of it, it was snow none the less.


One of the amazing things about Lincoln, is the food, and the people. We found a cool place to eat, Maggie's, great name by the way. This was a super rad and hip organic food stop. I had a tofu wrap that was delicious!



The first day was very exciting. I sat in on a demo that Susan and Margaret gave to inform the members about the medium, since many people are still learning about it. Later that night was the members night where I meet the members and discussed my work on a more private basis with the viewer.






And I ventured on, next stop, public art and education about the town. Lincoln has so much public art, I am so inspired. I cant believe how much I learned about the animals that use to live in NE. In case you didn't know, sloths are my favorite animal, and it just so happen that the ground sloth used to live here. Amazing! Not to mention the Mammoths, giant camels, rhinos, and these mini horses, just amazing.











And I ventured on, I was lucky enough to have some of my family who lives around the area come to see my work at the Haydon. Thank you for the support!



O and here below, is what they call, the Penis of the Plains and no building can be built taller than this. very cool. ha.

Onward to Margaret's House, where all the visiting artists got together and talked shop and celebrated the show together. All these women are so amazing!


Now it is time for the big night. The Art Walk that they have every first Friday. This was an amazing event to be a part of. Lots of people all different, and amazing art in the galleries. I will let the photos do the rest, I went to three galleries that night.






Here we are with George W. Neubert discussing the showing.


Here are all the artist that were able to make it to the event. I love these women, their so awesome!


And with that. We ventured on to the other galleries after the Haydon finally closed at 9:30pm. We went to the Loft which is an amazing showing space. I learned so much going to NE and I hope to bring that and my newly found energy to Monterey Bay. I want to leave you with my last pic...me studying. :) Im reading a book for my Steinbeck exhibition in August.



No comments: